MASE Legacy Award
An important focus of the work of MASE is the support of emerging education leaders. The MASE Legacy Award recognizes member for his or her commitment to encouraging, developing, and mentoring leaders who reflect the MASE mission.
2018 Honors: Gary Lewis, Retired Director of Student Services for Northfield Public Schools (Minnesota) and CEO of SpEd
Forms, Inc., has been awarded the Legacy Award by the Minnesota Administrators for Special Education (MASE). Dr. Lewis
will be honored for his commitment to encouraging, developing, and mentoring leaders who reflect the MASE mission at a
statewide recognition ceremony to be held at the 2018 MASE Fall Leadership Conference, October 24-26 at Cragun’s
Conference Center in Brainerd. Click Here for Press Release
1. The award is presented annually at the MASE Fall Leadership Conference.
2. The award consists of a plaque and complimentary registration and lodging at the conference.
Nominations will be made through a process determined by the MASE Nominating Committee.
1. Candidates may be self-nominated or nominated by someone else.
2. Nominations must be made in writing by completing the nomination materials.
3. Nomination materials must be received by the nomination deadline to be considered.
4. Nomination materials can be accessed from the MASE website or by contacting the MASE office.
1. The MASE Nominating Committee will select the recipient.
2. Selection will be based upon a review of candidate biographical information provided in the nomination materials.
3. The nomination committee members will select recipients through the use of an individually administered rating scale or secret vote.
4. The candidate with the highest overall score will be selected for the award.
1. Recipient must be a MASE member or must have been a MASE member.
2. Recipient shall have contributed to the professional growth and development of others.
3. Recipient shall have a service history as a long-standing, contributing MASE member.
4. Recipient shall have demonstrated commitment through:
c) personal support
e) an impact that is considerable and measurable over time
f) contribution at the local, regional, and state levels
2019 Nomination Form
nominations are due January 7, 2019
2018 Gary Lewis
2017 Keith Erickson
2016 Karen Filla
2015 Nan Records
2014 No Recipient
2013 Chris Sonenblum
2012 John Messelt
2010 Janine Dahms-Walker
2009 Denny Ulmer
2008 Bob Vaadeland
2006 Earl Mergens
2005 Norena Hale